Fall is a beautiful time of year. The leaves start to turn. The nights get cooler out. We light fires with our friends or we cozy up on the couch with some yummy snacks and indulge in a Netflix series because, ya know, treat-yo-self. Fall is a time for connection with our community through fun festivals and warm cider. A change of season is a great time to do some some maintenance checks. Although we do build decks and install replacement windows, we are passionate about you having a safe maintained space that lasts you a lifetime. Here are 5 (bonus tip at the end!) of the most important things we believe you should check in your home this fall season:
1. Change your filters on your HVAC System. You should be changing out your filters every 3 to 6 months, however if you only get around to it every season, that is okay! Just make sure you change them because if you don’t you are making your system work harder then it needs to causing it to wear-out sooner.
2. Care for your trees and shrubs. You wouldn’t want a tree to fall on your new deck or freshly installed new windows (see what I did there? haha!) Jokes aside, you wouldn’t you can tame those trees before the fall of the snow now in Fall. Consider hiring a tree service, typically they can see when a tree is dying and can cut it down before you have any issues.
3. Clean your gutters. Trees cause such a big mess from the beautiful leaves when they fall. If they aren’t cleaned out rain can cause roof damage do to your gutters being clogged. (If this seems like a big task, call us we can help ya! Contact us here! – Pricing starts at $99.99 for gutter cleaning & leaf raking.)
4. Deck and Porch Maintenance. Do a light power wash to your deck, do a touch up where you need more stain, paint, or water protectant. We can do this for you, if you’re interested we can do this for you. Contact us here. Check for loose boards, nails, deck supports, and hand rails. Wood decks need to be cleaned regularly and if you decide to clean it yourself, follow the exact directions on the cleaning solution. Services like these start at $149.99 and depends on the size of your deck!
5. (Missed this one last year & learned the hard way!) Prepare exterior faucets. Remove all exterior garden hoses, drain and store. Turn the inside valve for the exterior faucet off. Drain the water from the exterior faucet. Once it is drained, turn off faucet. To be proactive, now is the time to install non-freeze exterior faucets.
6. BONUS! Ceiling Fans: Change the direction of your ceiling fan to create an upward draft that redistributes warm air from the ceiling.
Do you need help with fall maintenance tasks around the house? We love doing the small jobs too!! Give us a call and let our 20 years experience get those projects completed for you! Call us at (330) 818-9833 or send us an email by clicking here.